Is a Divorce Right for You?

So many people feel helpless when marital disputes arise and often abruptly choose to immediately file for divorce. If you are having problems with your marriage, but you are not certain as to whether you wish to get divorced or try to save your marriage, I strongly recommend you attend individual counseling.  A good counselor can help you decide whether to begin marriage counseling before filing for divorce. Numerous couples have benefited and continue to benefit from marital counseling.

If you have a history of domestic violence, then you should live separately until you have received professional advice that you can safely live together with your spouse.  You can then address and try to resolve your marital problems.

File for Legal Separation

Before you file for divorce, you may want to consider filing for a legal separation. A legal separation allows you to live apart from your spouse, divide your debts and assets, and establish parenting time and support, while remaining married. The main benefit is that, in most cases, you can remain on your spouse’s health insurance.  A separation agreement is as complex and detailed as a divorce agreement, so you should retain legal counsel before you file for legal separation or attempt to negotiate a separation agreement.

File for Divorce

If your marriage is irreparable, then your only option may be to file for divorce. As mentioned above, you may be able to save your marriage by seeking marital counseling prior to filing for divorce.

Consult with a Family Law Attorney

The decision to end your marriage should be made with absolute certainty. Again, if you live in a violent environment, such as when domestic violence occurs, then you may have no choice but to leave your spouse for your safety, as well as the safety of your children

Additionally, you should consult with a divorce attorney before you finally decide to file for divorce. As a suffolk county divorce attorney who has handled hundreds of divorces, David Vallone has the ability to help you determine the best course of action in your individual situation. Call David Vallone at 631-676-7100 to schedule a free consultation if you are seeking information about filing for divorce.



The Unhappy Marriage: Should I Stay or Should I Go?

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Email (will not be published) (required)